Saturday 11 December 2021

Advent Blog Hop 2021

Welcome to the Advent Blog Hop, hosted by Jo over at http://serendipitousstitching.blogspot.com.  Check out her post to see all the other doors. 

I don't often make seasonal stitches, this year I have worked on 3, and finished only one so far.


The topic of the blog this year is our Christmas trees.  And I suddenly realised that I don't really take many of those shots myself!!

Managed to find some better ones from my hubbyman


Here's a rare one from me, with  my (much younger) child a few years ago in a Christmas tree jumper!! 

Our tree is an artificial one, even they manage to shed enough bits, I couldn't deal with pine needles dropping. 

As far as ornaments go, we have several small traditions. 

When hubby and I got our first tree together, we asked our parents for an ornament or two from our respective childhoods to go on our tree.
 These share pride of place every year, blending our old lives and our family traditions together. 

Since we got the bigger tree, we have also started a new tradition, every year we buy a new decoration to add to the collection.   We don't have a particular colour scheme or theme, I just love lots of bright and colourful decorations and tinsel garlands.  The topper is a star which we always intend to replace before the next Christmas (as it is decidedly wobbly and difficult to get straight), and inevitably end up using again! 

We couldn't always afford to buy a tree when I was a child (before we got an artificial one), but I have fond memories of the Xmas lights displayed in the shape of a tree on our wall! 

We generally try to put the tree up on the first Sunday in December, or somewhere close to that time.   This year we managed just the day before I was due to post the hop. 

It's always a family affair, although sometimes we will start the process of putting the tree up between the adults and then we can decorate it as a family.  We will play Christmas carols (once upon a time on CD but now largely on our smart speaker), and sing along while we work. 

I'm really looking forward to our first Christmas in our new home this year, and to celebrate we have bought a brand new tree, a 7ft artificial tree with flocked fake snow. 


I'm doubly looking forward to seeing it all decorated, as last year's Xmas was spent in a state of limbo regarding the impending house move, so we had only our small 2ft fibreoptic tree displayed last year, alongside a garland on the fireplace and my crib. 

I have to admit that we had a minor panic this year at first, as neither of us adults could remember seeing the wicker basket in which our decorations live since the move!! But of course it had been well packed away in a plastic container.  And in fact, the decorations may actually have moved here before we did, as we were packing things into the garage for a few weeks prior to the move! 

Happy Christmas everyone! 






14 comments:

  1. A lovely post, I enjoyed seeing your Christmas trees and your ornaments. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new tree, plus the adorable Elf sitting by it is so cute.
    Nice memory of childhood ornaments.
    A new ornament every year is a wonderful tradition.

    Merry Christmas
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar this year. Your new tree is gorgeous! I am glad that you found the decorations too, especially the ones from your childhood.
    In the first photo, your son looks exactly like a boy I was at school with! His name was David and he was a St. John's Ambulance volunteer even as a young boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! We both have small ornaments from our respective childhood on our tree, and both of our adult kiddos asked for theirs, as well ... so sweet to remember Christmases past through the ornaments!! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a lovely visit today. I enjoyed reading about your Christmas traditions. Your tree pics are all lovely, and your cross stitch is very sweet. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! (I’m joining the hop too in a few days. ) Great to read about your trees.
    Hope you are now well settled in your new home!
    Merry Christmas!
    Hugs,
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new house and hope you enjoy your first Christmas. 2 1/2 years ago we moved across country - from CA to MI so I know the initial panic of not knowing where something is. Love your special ornaments, I too don't have a theme or color scheme, I just love looking and remembering each ornament. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Christmas tree looks great. Thank you for sharing your Christmas tree traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed your post! Your tree is lovely. I spy a little fat gold Santa elf on your tree. My parents had the exact one but red. I should ask them if they still have it. It is a nice memory of childhood! Your little stitch is sweet too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All lovely trees and your star sounds like our angel, we've been meaning to replace her for years!
    I'm glad you found your decorations and it's certainly nice to add to them every year.
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to visit with you. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone has such lovely stories to share about their trees. Your new one is very pretty with the snow, I hope you enjoy celebrating a properly decorated Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete