Tuesday 17 November 2015

Keeping of Promises


In an oddly reflective mood lately, hence a post title that sounds more serious than I intended.  What am I talking about then?

It being 15 days from TMA deadline (and counting), it's about getting back to those commitments to study time.  Cos we all know that there's lots of times we 'should' and then don't (whether that be study or any of the many other things we fill our busy lives with).  But do you know - when we live up to our promise to do something, no matter how much we may not have wanted to do it in the first place - we usually feel better at the other end.

So - my promises for this week were:


  • To get some study in on the long commute - it's time that I usually get to sit down, and therefore perfect for taking in some extra reading.  Lately though I had been reverting more to mystery novels instead of the mysteries of Software Engineering.

    Result - About an extra 4.5 hours reading got me caught up to where I should be
  • To make some written progress on my TMA on the evenings - I know that the commute is great for reading, but it isn't an environment where I can type or make notes etc (no tables on the Metro) - so I still need to get in some evening study where I can.

    Result - a couple of days in and about 1 and a half questions down (out of 5 in total).
  • To get in some daytime study - after the long day and commute and eating/washing up/being Mammy and reading a bedtime story, I'm understandably tired - and that doesn't necessarily result in the most fantastic thinking abilities.  So this week I promise myself some daytime study time - probably Friday/Saturday when I have no other set commitments (so far) (and when I have other commitments on the night-time

    Result - to be confirmed at the end of the week!!
  • To allow myself to take a break and to stop when I have achieved the particular mini-goals I have set myself - for example - I will work on Question 2 tonight and stop when I finish, not moving on to the next question whatever time it is on the clock.

    Result - tonight I stopped at the end of Question 2, saved and closed my work, and came here to blog about it.  And tomorrow night I am going to take the night off altogether, and spend some quality time with my best friend, although I will still study-read on half my commute during the day.

  • AND NOW I PROMISE TO COME BACK AT THE END OF THE WEEK AND LET YOU KNOW HOW I MADE OUT WITH MY PROMISES TO MYSELF!!















No comments:

Post a Comment