Monday 11 October 2021

A new technique and a second attempt.

This weekend I was mooching about on YouTube, as you do sometimes.  I like to watch the odd craft video when I'm lacking the energy to do my own crafts.

I came across this tutorial for a 

Well the idea of very short rows appeals to me, and I have lots of leftovers from various chunky wool projects.

It's not the prettiest thing, but here's the beginning of my 10 stitch blanket.  Essentially it works by working mitred corners to turn your work.  There are a few different ways to achieve this, but this tutorial gave me the method I've been using.  A smaller needle size would work to tighten up the mitres, but I don't mind how they look, for a first attempt. 

I somehow feel like stitching the seams would be tidier than the pick up and knit given in the tutorial.  But maybe my confidence will grow as I go through the process. 

The YouTube channel also has crochet videos.  So I am giving that a go too, as I have not had much success with it in the past.  

But sometimes I have returned to old crafts and enjoyed the experience, so I thought I would try again. 

This is just a little sample piece where I've been experimenting with different combinations of stitches.   I think it is one that may take some time to build confidence in my ability to count!! 


I'd ideally like to gain just enough ability to be able to make a blanket, or a hat or scarf, things without much shaping required. 

My first attempts at a granny square/rectangle did not even get beyond the first row as it somehow twisted around and was very confusing!! 

I think I need to try that with a thicker yarn for my first time. 



1 comment:

  1. The Golds and blues are very pretty together.
    I love watching you-tube videos, I do not crochet or knit but would like to learn someday, i think a you-tube video will be the way to go for me.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete