Saturday 15 August 2020

Gifted Gorgeousness SAL

It is the 15th of the month, and that means it's time for the Gifted Gorgeousness SAL, hosted by Jo at https://serendipitousstitching.blogspot.com

Once upon a time, there was a pattern that decided to break away from its cheeky origins.  That pattern is Clare Crompton's Finding Mr Right, which I made some changes to in order to stitch it for my parents for their Ruby wedding anniversary, 10 years ago. 

There are few patterns that I have enjoyed enough to want to revisit, although I have been known to do that in my knitting, and when I find clothing that fits perfectly, I've been known to buy it in several colours. 

This pattern, currently a fast- moving WIP, is a revisit.  You've seen it already in the Ruby Wedding sampler, and now I'm re-stitching, 10 years later, for my parents' Golden Wedding anniversary next month. I'm planning to change around some of the details from my original 'revision', with my old nemesis metallic thread for the heart, as well as some changes to the wording.  By not attempting to simply recreate the 40th one in gold, I hope to symbolise the changing nature of marriage, whilst emphasising the unchanging love they have for one another by re-using the main border of the pattern. Butterflies and flowers will be in various shades of gold DMC thread, with maybe a couple of extra sprinkles of my metallic gold alongside, depending on whether my patience has given out by then. 

9 comments:

  1. Having seen it's initial stages in person, I can see how well it is coming along, all sparkly. And you can do it that metallic thread can be bested, remember the Afghan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd actually repressed the memory of the metallic threads in that one, and only remembered the good parts of stitching queens and dragons and wizards, oh my!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. I love the idea of restitching the sampler but subtly changing it too. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo.. working on the 'familiar' parts at the moment, some design work still to figure out on the wording

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant idea! Very clever thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I loved the pattern, and it felt more like a wedding sampler than a saying I'd want to stitch.

      Delete
  4. I used to be so afraid of changing patterns, but once I changed my first one, the rest have become so much fun to do. This looks lovely, and although I haven't seen the Ruby one you speak of, I'm anxious to see how you will modify this one for this occasion. Congratulations to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, if you click on the words Ruby Wedding Sampler in this post, you can see the ruby wedding variation I did. I'm really enjoying stitching it again

      Delete
  5. I think your parents will be touched to receive an edited version of the last one! I am looking forward to seeing the two side by side.

    ReplyDelete