Sunday 15 August 2021

August Gifted Gorgeousness

Finally, a special finish in time for GG this month.  I started on this piece, Toy Room Birth Sampler by Durene Jones, back in October 2020, with the delusion of being finished in time for the baby's birth in December!  Well, as most normal people realise already, it's hard work packing up your whole house to move out of the area, and tends to leave less time for hobbies.   So before the move in January 2021, this was how it looked, a far cry from being finished! 


So then I decided, it will be ready before my brother and sister in law go back to Canada... As they had a period of work still requiring them to live out there.   Now I don't know quite how long I'd expected to have available here, needless to say I was still unpacking some of our boxes from the move when they went back in early February!   I've taken a lot of stitching photos in the time since, but not many progress pics of this stitch. It only started to feel like progress when I finally got to start backstitching here, even with some oddments of cross stitch still left to do

Progressing to complete backstitch and missing just a few eyes and the lettering. 


A new deadline now, they were coming home to stay, finally!! So aiming for early August/late July 2021.


Now, the banner was supposed to say 'Welcome to the World', but somehow that only felt appropriate for a small baby, not an 8-months bundle of movement. So I settled on baby's name alone, with date and birth weight under the toy shelf. 

Finally got finished and ready to frame, this is something I do for myself.  I was finally happy with the way it looked, but I couldn't quite find one of the clips that hold the back of the frame on.  Needless to say, I found it when I pushed the piece into place and it broke the glass in the frame!! 


So, I now have a bonus frame with no glass waiting for a new picture.  Luckily I was able to purchase the same one again as a replacement, and luckily my local hardware store is a very reasonably priced source of frames!! 


So finally, here is the finished article, shown without the glass before I put it in. (handy for photos as no reflections). 

Check out who else is participating in Gifted Gorgeousness on http://serendipitousstitching.blogspot.com







8 comments:

  1. Nice to see it completed, I know you will be feeling lighter for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the back stories of stitched pieces. I hope you are settled into your new home now...and I'm sure the parents will love all the hard work you put into this piece, it really is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birth sampler is beautiful. I do like the framing - it sets it off well. Congratulations all round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish. Lovely colors and the baby's name is perfect with the pattern. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful gift, certainly stitched with love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. Great story about a lovely gift. I am glad you got it finished and framed this month. Shame about the glass but at least it was a standard frame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is too cute. The glass incident is something that would happen to me. Glad you were able to get another frame.

    ReplyDelete